Friday, October 22, 2010

Brothers and Sisters

We have been watching the fourth season of Brothers and Sisters.

(CAUTION:  Spoilers to the show if your haven't seen it yet...)

This season Kitty Walker has cancer.

They did a really good job portraying the different stages of the process.  (It's funny how nearly every show now is about cancer.  Tom says I'm probably just more tuned into it  now.)  I find myself (of course) rooting for Kitty.  Saying things like, "YES...that is exactly what it's like.  I'm so glad to see that others want to stop the chemo too."  or "You GO writers...you did your research on that one." when Kitty says at one point that she is so full of steroids that she finds herself up in the middle of the night cleaning the entire house and her mother doesn't even realize it happened. 

I found myself crying with her when she is shaving her hair off realizing again that this is just something everyone that does chemo is going through.  (Hated her when she was so cute bald.  Wow...they really picked the right actress to have cancer.)  When her husband sees her with no hair and acts like nothing has changed and tells her she is beautiful.  Only later, when he is talking to her bother, finding out that it hit him really hard and he felt he couldn't let her know how it made him realize how close to death she was.  I am glad that my husband was honest and didn't try to tell me I was beautiful (even though I teased him about that during the show saying, "Why didn't you tell me I was beautiful?"  HA!).  I am always ever thankful for his honesty.

This show has been good for me to realize that this affects my family as much as it does me.  I seem to go through each day thinking it is all about me when really, it's all about the whole family.  Maybe they aren't here and they aren't really seeing the ravages to my body but they are seeing it in words and experiencing it virtually.  (I'm making sure they get a fairly accurate picture here on the blog...HA!)  Some, like my sister, have been going through something similar with her husband, who has Multiple Myeloma.   She is a great source of strength to me and I'm sure she doesn't even realize it.  Her experience keeps me remembering that others have experienced this and lived to tell tales about it...so get over myself.  8-)

I don't think they did a really good depiction of the husband's role in the show.  My husband is having to handle the mean chemo drunk girl and pick up my slack around the house when I just can't do it all anymore. (Kitty is so nice and perfect to everyone through the whole thing...is it just me or is that possible for anyone to really be nice and perfect all the time while going through chemo treatments?  It could be I just have flaws that others don't have...hmmm...pondering that one.  NO WAY.)   Tom does most all of the shopping and cleaning up after meals.  Rob Lowe just continued to be a California Senator while Kitty's family took care of her.  He came home every once in a while to make love to her (not seen but implied in the show) which is a plus for him but did she really care about sex while going through chemo?  Considering chemo wipes out all your estrogen, it is hard to believe her libido was really into that.  Other than that, it was pretty much business as usual for him.  Of course, you find out later, that he was getting some mental health counseling which made me think that maybe Tom could use some of that too...I know I have to be driving him crazy with the ups and downs.  

I did find myself a little jealous when the chemo wasn't working and they decided to do a stem cell transplant.  One surgery and all of a sudden she is in remission.  No more chemo or anything.  Of course, it was a very risk filled surgery and they had to find a donor but still.  POOF and she's gonna be fine. 

Oh well, I just have to get through 5 more treatments and POOF, I will get to recover from it all and be fine too.  Come February, I should be going around the corner into recovery too.  8-)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Babe...I haven't seen Brothers and Sisters, but I had some. As you may remember, your Aunt Margaret had cancer one time, and it took her a long time to recover from it. She had a radium implant for three days which destroyed a lot of good cells as well as bad ones. I remember how she struggled with a lot of things during her recovery period. Of course, it was nothing like what you are going through, but I am sure there were times when she had her doubts as to a recovery.
    I am so glad that Carol has been able to give you the support that she has, and that Tom is there to give first hand support as well. You are loved greatly by all of us. Thank you again for sharing so much of your inner self with us. Love you'n's forever....Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting show. I may avoid it like I avoided "Bucket List" and the one about the husband who died and left his wife all sorts of love notes and "guided" her through grief. Not for me right now. :-) Those movies came out right after Daryl's diagnosis...my kids all said, "Don't, Mom!" They know me well! I didn't. :-)

    Sounds like they needed to do more research on the stem cell. Be comforted...real life stem cell transplants don't always work, sometimes your body rejects the donor, and sometimes, when it kills your immune system, you have six-eight months of misery. Or you die of the side effects when your immune system lets respiratory illnesses take over. Daryl could have an auto-logous stem cell transplant and decided against it (another of those "put my foot down" decisions). It could gain him 12 months, and make him miserable for 8.

    Wow...a bit negative there! I shouldn't respond to these things when I'm at work or in a hurry....I probably should have deleted half of this...

    I'm glad Tom is honest, too. Then, you can trust what he says! Daryl is like that...trustworthy!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, the stem cell can work great, you get remission, and relief from chemo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The show actualy did touch on all those negative aspects too (briefly). They got it right...I just gave a condensed version. They left us in suspense for a few minutes not knowing how it would turn out. If only real life only left us suspended for such short times...
    Never hold back on your comments...after all..I certainly don't. HA!

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)