Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What Did I Do?

When you are first diagnosed with cancer, you find you ask yourself, "What did I do that caused this?" (Over and over again because you really don't have a clue what the answer is.)  Then you start looking at your life to see if you can change anything that might have caused it.  Below are the top ten things that, even if they caused cancer, I probably wouldn't change.  8-)

1.  Eating Ice Cream. (Wow..first thing that popped into my head...weird.)

2. When I bake pork chops in butter and season them with adobo seasoning, it leaves little particles of the seasoning cooked in the butter.  After we have finished eating, I like to find those particles and eat them.  I wouldn't stop doing this...(Hmm...food in the top two items....)

3.  Playing on the computer.  (Self explanatory)

4.  Driving a car.  (Although there are times when I HATE to drive, in general, I really enjoy driving and would miss it if I couldn't do it.)

5.  Being married.  (Sorry, honey...no refection on you that this is number 5 instead of number 1...it's just the order that it fell in my thoughts.  You know you're my soul-mate.)

6.  Enjoying the sunshine on my face.  (I know that too much sun causes cancer but I still love that feeling on my face.  Of all the things in this world, it probably makes me feel the most alive.)

7.  Cooking in a microwave.  (I love the way you can create miracles of food quickly in a microwave...how sad it would be to not be able to do that anymore.  Oh..yeah...I fell back into food again here, didn't I?  Recurring theme?)

8.  Living in a house.  (I really like 4 walls around me...)

9.  Drinking water.  (How sad would it be if water caused cancer?  There's nothing like cold water when you're all hot from doing physical work.)

10.  Eating steak.  (Wow...food again!  I love a good filet mignon barbecued out on the grill...)

I am obviously a little 'food' focused here.  For the past year we have changed our diet a lot...which actually seemed to put me in better shape to handle this whole chemo routine.  I lost 30 lbs from last October to March, which put me back in the green area for weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, energy, etc.  It hasn't stopped us from eating ice cream though.  8-)  That is our treat every day, no matter what else we aren't eating on this 'life change' diet.  (The entire diet consists of eating no junk food..i.e. chips, candy, etc.)  With no junk food, that left room for fruits and vegetables...go figure.  We always get Thai food on Fridays and pizza one other day of the week.  (Usually Saturday)  You gotta have rewards!  I could probably give up pizza and Thai food if they caused cancer but it would be a sad day indeed.  8-)

In the end, one never really knows what caused cancer...except God, I guess.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Babe,
    I can give you my theory on what causes cancer, for what it is or isn't worth. I believe that every person's body contains a wild cancer cell and that what activates it is stress. Stress can come from any direction, and does...I think that the auto-immune system can be down and not running good, and that leaves the way open for the cancer cell to activate. I have no scientific backup for this theory, I just believe it is so. Theories are a dime a dozen, aren't they? Ha. I don't think you did anything to cause the cancer though, it just happens. Love you'n's forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if losing weight causes cancer? Daryl had just lost about 30 pounds before diagnosis. You lost weight. Hmmm...I'm staying fat!!! :-) (Before I get lynched, let it be known that I'm just kidding!)

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)