Saturday, October 16, 2010

Panic Attack

I'm in kind of panic mode today.  I found another lump in my breast.  This time it is in my left breast.  So, what do I do with that information? 

I don't think I can go through this whole process again.  Tom has tried to reassure me.  I say tried because my terror has taken over.  He is looking at it logically....here are his points of value.

1. They just did a pet scan about 6 weeks ago.  This should have shown any large tumors.  (In my head "It wasn't a large tumor six weeks ago...I felt nothing then.")

2.  They just did a mammogram in July and it didn't show anything.  (In my head, "That was three months ago...it probably wouldn't have shown up then.")

I don't know how fast cancer grows.  They said the one in the right breast was aggressive.  They also said that if I get cancer in my left breast that it would be a different cancer because cancer doesn't spread from breast to breast...(Yeah, that is reassuring, I guess.) 

I was thinking that I would have to start all over again with my OB/GYN doctor and get the mammogram and biopsy if necessary but Tom thinks I should just go to Dr. Waples my cancer doctor and let him figure it out.  He's probably right.  I know he is thinking more clearly than I am right now.

I guess another question would be, if I am doing the chemotherapy right now, would I have to do it again after they took the lump out of the left breast?  Surely not. 

Alright...breathing, breathing, breathing.  I'm probably just being silly.  I've had lumpy breasts all my life.  Why should that stop now and why should I worry more than I ever did?  (Inside head, "Because I'm in a terrible place right now because of one lump in my right breast...and I don't think I can do this all over again.")

I'll call Dr. Waples on Monday.  He'll know what to do.

I'm gonna go do the treadmill and get rid of this anxiety.  Thanks for listening to me panic...I promise to try to have a more positive post tomorrow.  8-}

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Babe...I believe that the chemo attacks any cancer cells you have in your body. That is why you are taking it. You are correct in saying that you have had the fibroid tumors most of your adult life, so has Carol, so have I, so have many other women, and they were not cancer. There is nothing you can physically do right now, and jumping the gun on self-diagnosis gets you nowhere except panicsville. (new word) You are being lifted up in so many prayers...trust Him to do for you what we cannot do. I love you forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't that I don't trust God...I am just trying to decide whether to even pursue another diagnosis. Whether the diagnosis is more cancer or not. I am not trying to diagnose myself. I am being cautious and it caught me unawares this morning. I am fine...enough said about this subject. I was just doing the transparent thing that you guys seem to want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Babe...sorry, didn't mean to intimate that you weren't trusting..just trying to reassure you and help you feel calmer. Thank you for sharing.Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)