Friday, October 15, 2010

Moments in Time

I had a 'moment' yesterday when I was waiting for my blood to be drawn at the lab.  Tom and I were sitting in the waiting area and this other 'bald' lady was sitting there also.  She got my attention and said how much she liked my do-rag.  She asked where I had gotten it and I told her all about the braided part of it that goes around the actual turban.  That way you can mix and match to whatever clothes you are wearing that day.  Then I asked her about her hat...it was really a cute beaded hat and she actually had gotten hers locally and told me where to get one.  It wasn't really my style but it looked cute on her.  Anyway, after I chatted with her and they called her in, I just burst into tears.  It had felt really good to talk to someone that is going through the same thing without really dwelling on the fact that we were going through the same thing.  I am undecided as to whether I need to get involved in a 'support group' which would probably just make me cry all the time or not.  I sure don't want to have more moments like that one. But I did enjoy talking to her.  (You can see how confused I am about what I need here.)

I finally finished decorating the new TV area and below is a picture of the final product.  I have never really decorated the living room (we've been here for three years and still had not gotten it done).  I was always so tired all the time (before diagnosis of cancer) that every thought of decorating was just too much to handle.  I don't know how long I've had cancer but something has really been sapping the strength out of me for quite a while.  I was just telling Tom that I feel better the third week after chemo than I have in many years.  The next thing I'm going to do is find some 'toppers' for the windows in the living room.  I believe in a nice burgundy to go with the rug on the floor and the vase stuff.  Of course, I didn't really get the burgundy of the rug showing in this picture...you'll just have to trust me on that one.  8-)


Anyway, this is just a good sign that I am mentally coping and ready to move on with my life from my own viewpoint.

Hope everyone is doing well and having a great day! 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the simple elegance of the room!

    We considered a support group, but went instead to a Myeloma Conference, and were amazed at how much we BOTH gained the strength from being with others in the same boat. I grudgingly went to the spouse group, but was surprisingly encouraged. I wasn't crazy...it was happening to other people, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Babe! Sweet, poignant, and so clear to me that you are coping well. I really like the decorating that you have done. Big TV looks good, too. Thank you for sharing all. Good that you are encouraging others, too. I donated some today to the Breast Cancer Society at the grocery store. Yours really brings it home. Love you'n's forever. Mom.

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)