Sunday, September 12, 2010

Mmmmmmm

We went out to eat last night for the first time in a while. We hadn't been out in a while because of having two different surgeries, chemo, and my fear of being in public places with all the germs.  Now, this could be classified as one of three things (Mysophobia which is the fear of being contaminated with dirt or germs, Spermatophobia (Fear of germs...interesting name...not going there), or Verminophobia (also fear of germs but looks more like fear of Vermin germs to me..lol).  Probably closer to the first one and only because my white count is suspect and I don't want to pick up anyone's diseases.  I didn't used to have this fear but certainly do now.  I'm sure I'll get over it after this is all over but for now I am super duper cautious.  ANYWAY...back to the food.  8-)

We went to O'Bryan's Steak House which is fairly close to where we live.  We usually get a Filet Mignon or their Grilled Catfish.  Both are yummy.  But last night all I wanted was something completely evil for my body.  To back up a little...last October I started feeling kind of run down and so in my 'fix it' fashion I talked to Tom and said "Honey, we should really change our eating habits.  It wouldn't hurt us to lose a few pounds and I think I would feel better for it."  He is usually agreeable to my change in directions in our lives but I could see the pessimistic look in his face because now I was changing a big part of the fun in his life.  So we headed into a 'No junk food diet but eat more fruit and vegetables except on Friday when we get Thai to keep Tom happy' diet.  All else stayed the same.  By Christmas we had lost close to 20 pounds and were feeling much better for it.  Now, in this 'junk food' category fell the wonderful food called HAMBURGERS.  OH MY, but I love hamburgers.  So last night I said, "I'm going to have a big old homemade style hamburger and some steak fries tonight."  He kind of looked at me with his sideways look and said that I should eat whatever I wanted.  So we both got one.  8-)  My hamburger was just as delicious as if my Aunt Margaret had cooked it.  We used to have hamburger nights on Friday nights (I seem to remember this being the day of the week for hamburgers but I could be wrong) and there was always lots of fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and onions to go on the hamburgers.  They had a garden that they would get the vegetables out of.  There is nothing like fresh from the garden vegetables on a hamburger.  Anyway, suffice it to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Hamburger and Fries at O'Bryan's.  8-)


Yeah...I know that's not a very exciting blog topic, but when you've been cooped up in the house for about 9 days, it was like a little bit of heaven to get all dressed up and feeling pretty and join the rest of humanity out there having fun.  8-)

5 comments:

  1. MMmmm! I'm glad you had a splurge!

    When Daryl got diagnosed, he had just lost about 40 pounds, and it made it so much healthier for him to deal with the cancer. God's leadings are so cool!

    A comment from yesterday...I forgave you for the cat....can't tell you how many times we've joked about fluff drying kitty. You could NEVER disappoint me! You're my sister, and the great thing about sisters is that they ARE regardless of what else is happening in life. They don't take offense (for long) and they always make up and love each other because they are sisters and they just ARE. They understand you like nobody else does even when they don't understand you. Disappointment isn't in the vocabulary between sisters! Get it? Got it! Good! (like my kids used to say!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I remember about Friday nights is that Grandma went to the store on Friday's, and bought Hershey Kisses, and we ate kisses and watched Rawhide! (Except the night I hit you with the pole, and we had to sit up and watch Twilight Zone (Kassandra....Kassandra....).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey..what Hershey kisses...I don't think I got any of those. Mom was the Hershey kiss person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right! I was the Hershey Kiss person! Also the sour cream/onion dip with potato chips! See where you both got your bad habits! Ha. Love you both!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, guys. I remember Hershey's Kisses and Rawhide. Hmmm...maybe John bought them! But I sure remember them! (M & M's?) Something chocolate!

    Oh yeah, Mom, you are definitely the sour cream onion dip and chips! MMmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)