Thursday, September 16, 2010

New Life When You Least Expect It

I have made no attempt to hide the fact that I kill plants. It isn't intentional murder...(unless you count the fact that I buy the plants at all...hmmm...I may have to ponder that one separately.) it is the fact that after I buy them they suffer slow and torturous deaths. I always read the directions for care and follow it as religiously as my memory permits.

Every year I go in search of window box flowers for my gazebo. Last year I had some flowers that, while the instructions said they could handle full sun, apparently the full sun they were talking about and the full sun that hits my gazebo are two completely different things. I followed directions on watering (Mostly...ahem) and proceeded to watch them wither so I brought them up to the patio where they got some shade during the day and they were looking better BUT there was the watering thing. Even though they were right outside my back door on the patio I could not seem to remember to water them. Needless to say, I am always glad when fall arrives and everything is dead and I can quit pretending to be some kind of gardener.  (You cannot imagine the stress I feel while things are trying to survive on my watch.)

I have to admit though...I am very jealous of my neighbor two doors down who has two year old twins and a 7 year old and still manages to plant the entire front of her house with all these wonderful colors of flowers.  Her yard is very pretty and I often wonder if I paid her if she would plant and care for some in my yard....(odds are against that one...other neighbor stories to follow).

Anyway, back to the original thought I had (I know I had one...mental scrambling here).  Oh yeah, this year I planted some yellow and burgundy Celosia.  (I only know their name because I always save the little tags that stick in the dirt so I can refer to them later (like now) when I don't have a clue what they are...just in case someone visits and asks (yeah, that's another story altogether too).  I mixed it up quite perfectly in my OCD fashion.  (Burgundy, yellow, burgundy, yellow...you get the idea)  I put them in the window boxes around the gazebo and back behind the Sky Shed Pod (yet another story for another time) to pretty it up back there since our poor neighbor looks at the back of the Sky Shed Pod all the time (Hey...we gave him a gazebo to look at too...). 

Nothing in my life changed...they died.

However, what I didn't count on was that the seeds from the burgundy ones (and only the burgundy ones) dropped little seeds which begot other little burgundy flower babies.  I really never go outside so how was I to know when I was cutting down the tomato plant yesterday (dead also) that I would find these beautiful flowers (the gazebo is far far away from the house so it is hard to see what is going on out there) just growing and thriving on their own and I didn't have to water or care for them ONCE.  What a wonderful surprise.  I was so excited I decided that today I would take pictures to prove that as long as I don't TOUCH the plants they survive quite nicely.

See what God did?  You hear me plants?   I had nothing to do with your existence...you just keep on surviving because I promise not to touch you.


So you can briefly see our line of trees in this picture which I also do not touch and then there is one more shrub in front of the Sky Shed Pod that I don't touch.  I lost the little tag for that one...not sure what it is but I'm sure my mother could tell you.  HA.

There are lots of shrubs at the front of the house that I ALSO DO NOT TOUCH and are surviving quite nicely.  8-)

Anyway...there you have it...new life when you least expect it...especially anywhere near me...8-)

4 comments:

  1. Just a sure sign to never give up the effort. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) You're a good writer....who needs flowers! Okay, honestly, I love flowers and I'm glad Daryl waters our plants (with the sprinkler system Matt installed.) I always say that if God waters them, they grow, and if I water them they die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom is the yard tender but unfortunately, like me, he can walk right past them without giving them a drop of water. He mows a great yard though. 8-). You are very lucky to have a flower tender in Daryl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I am, or there would never be color here! His Dad was that way, and I'm seeing it in Matt, too. I have too much of the "I'll do that later" in me to be good at plant maintenance.

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)