Monday, September 13, 2010

Optimist or Pessimist?

I have asked myself in the past whether I am an optimist or a pessimist.  Is that glass half full or half empty?  I will answer it quite differently given the each individual situation.  If you hand me a plant and ask me to take care of it and never kill it, then I am very much a pessimist.  At my Dad's funeral, my  Mom, in her very giving nature asked me if I wanted to take home one of the plants from the funeral.  In my heart I am screaming...NO NO...don't give me that kind of responsibility.  I'll kill it.  Actually, being the open and totally honest person that I am, I might have even said it out loud.  Obviously a pessimist under these conditions... 

But...when asked to do an impossible job for work, I think to myself...Ugh (yeah, I actually use that word in my head), that's gonna be hard but I think I can do it....I love a challenge.  Obviously an optimist in those moments.

Now the truth of the matter is that it depends on whether I believe it is worth the time invested.

Here is the plant that I took home from the funeral...

 As you can see, my pessimism didn't totally come true.  (there were some long shoots of some type of plant in it that I totally killed but I've kept the rest of it alive since the 31st of July...now there's a minor miracle.)  As you can see, the cat is having her fun eating away at it also (another reason why I don't keep indoor plants.)   She hasn't died either so I'm two for two. HA.

Here are my favorite types of indoor plants.  They require neither optimism or pessimism on my part:


Some may say I'm a 'cheater' when it comes to plants but I like to just say I am very optimistic that these types of plants will live because (normally) I live a very busy life and don't have time to keep 'real' plants alive.  This one from the funeral has been lucky. 8-)  I've been working from home.

So, back to my therapy...when I was diagnosed with cancer did I feel optimistic or pessimistic?  Numb would probably be the correct term....lol...but after I settled down (funny how the 'C' word gets you all shaken up) I realized that my life was worth fighting for.  I had stated to my boss that if the results came back positive from the tests that I wasn't going to go through the chemotherapy or radiation.  I just felt so tired all the time and it seemed like it would be easier to just let it win.  He kept saying that I needed to rethink that.  Well, after I got the results then I realized that I couldn't give up that easily...not so much for me...I'm ready for heaven but I don't think the people that love me are ready for me to be a pessimist and just give up.  I praise God that that is true.  8-)

 So, yeah, when it's something worth fighting for, I'm definitely an optimist.

6 comments:

  1. I never had a doubt in my mind that you would fight this, Babe. The last thing you are is a quitter. Yeah, we were both pretty numb when we found out about the 'C', but you took the 'bull by the horns' and you have proven to be just as strong as I knew you would be. Yeah, there are days that are more difficult than others (obviously more so for you than I), but we get through each day. Rest assured, I Love You and I will be here through thick and thin, happy and sad, and all in between..

    Your hubby!! ")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Babe! I know you are a fighter and never a quitter...You are certainly a brave individual, and I know you are going to win this battle or series of battles. We are so blessed to have one another as buttresses in our daily strife. Your family is right there with you, always. Knowing that there are also others fighting the same disease as yours is bound to help some too. Love you both. Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Teresa My friend Clara posted on your saturday post. She is a cancer survivor, and will be reading your blog. She is the lady from Bluff City, TN who came to visit me just before I moved to Texas. love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me know about Clara. I wasn't even looking on the old posts. Bless her heart...she knows what it is like. She was lucky they gave her something that left her good cells intact. Mine rips them all up...as long aa it gets the bad ones, I am happy and can live with the rest of it. I enjoyed reading her comment...she's really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a good writer...I'm loving the insights into your thoughts that you're sharing. Tom, what a wonderful comment! I bet Teresa reads it over and over as she goes through this! Sis, I'm glad you know you're loved and that life is worth fighting for...and it is a fight! And we DO love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps...I can't keep plants alive, either! I have two at my sink that occasionally get water, and they're right next to the source! :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)