Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Amazing Butterfly

Yesterday morning I saw the most beautiful butterfly perched on our patio wall.  I didn't want to scare it off so I just looked at it through our living room window. 

Later in the day, the Terminex guy came to spray for bugs outside.  (Yeah, sad little story coming up)

After supper, I looked out the living room window and saw that beautiful butterfly resting on the patio floor.  I thought, "Hmmm...wonder why it is perching on the floor?"  So, I called Tom over and we carefully opened the back door and peeked out.  It didn't move, so we got closer...still didn't move.  It was as perfect in death as it was alive.  I had to get a picture.


We did some research and it turns out it is a female black swallowtail butterfly.  (It is actually much blacker than this picture shows.  It looks brown here but it is really black.) We figured out it was a female because of the colors.  This is a very good picture but it is still more beautiful in person.

I think when the butterfly died, he moved into my stomach.  Today, every time I think about the chemo on Friday, it flutters around.  I can already tell it is going to be amazingly hard to make myself let them give it to me when I know what follows. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Babe! Thank you for the picture, and the story that attends it. A very good simile about the way that life changes, sometimes when we least expect it. We know the poor beautiful butterfly certainly was unsuspecting. Thinking of you and Tom. Praying for you both. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Daryl can empathize with you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)