Thursday, December 23, 2010

How to Care for Your Aloe Plant Book

I THOUGHT this was going to be an easy week at work.  Obviously, I thought wrong.  Why didn't those people take this week off in conjunction with the holdays?  Crazy people.  They have been ringing my phone all morning with one problem in the software after another.  Sigh.

I am thinking we are going to have pizza tonight.  I don't really feel like cooking.  My turkey for Saturday is thawing out quite nicely though and after we get a pan to cook it it, we'll have us a fine turkey dinner for Christmas. 

Tom bought me an Aloe Vera handbook which will be quite helpful with the plants I will have to take care of.  (ugh...)  The books says that the older the plant, the more potent the stuff inside is.  Here are some of the things it can be used for:

Burns and Scalds
Sunburn
Cuts and Wounds
Digestive Problems
Hair and Scalp Care
Hemorrhoids and Bleeding Piles (TMI)
Infections
Poison Ive, Oak and Allergies
Psoriasis and Eczematous Rashes
Scar Removal
Stretch Marks from Pregnancy
Varicose Veins (hmmm)
Skin Cancer (double hmmm)
Stings by insects, jellyfish, stinging nettle, etc (wish I had had some when I was stung by all those jellyfish)
Arthritis (wow...they drink it for this)
Ulcers (ugh...drinking it again)
Brown Skin Spots (triple hmmm)
Acne (HA..past that)
Sinus (They are spraying it up the sinuses here...yeah...I'm not doing that)
Asthma (breathing in the vapors when boiled in water)
Sore Throat (gargling it..ugh)
Eye and Ear drops. (Nope...don't think so)

Finally, I get to the part of the book where it tells me how to care for the plant.  Basically, keep it indoors in indirect sunlight during the winter, water lightly in winter (OH, I'm good at this...lol).  I don't have to repot because it loves to get root bound.  If it gets top heavy I have to repot.  If it gets root-bound, it will send out more new shoots or pups.  If these aren't taken out for replanting when they are 3-4 inches high, they will suck the life from the mother plant.  (I'm sorry in advance, Mommy plant.)

HA HA HA...now it gives me the symptoms of poor plant care.   They should have just titled that section, "What Will Happen to Plants that Teresa Owns"!!!! 

The good news is that they only have to last through 35 radiation treatments...basically two months starting in January.  I can do that, surely.  8-)  Overall, it is a very informative book.  (Thanks, Tom!)

Hope everyone is having a great day!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey,Babe. I used a piece (very small) of the plant Csrol is sending you, the night of the party. I had a small place on my wrist that had been itching like the dickens. Well, I noticed the next day that it wasn't itching any more. That stuff really works! I think it was from some kind of insect bite. Voila! Sorry it was a tiring day for you, though. The plant carol has is a wonderfully large one. It sits on her kitchen counter awaiting shipment.
    Love youn's forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Tom! I was going to do some internet research to save you the trouble of having to find out for yourself. Isn't he just right there when you need him!!!

    I've about decided how to mail this thing...it's HUGE! (Many thanks, Denise, my friend!) After Christmas is over, I'm thinking mail delivery (and trips to the Post Office!) will be a piece of cake again!

    Loveyou!

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)