Thursday, December 2, 2010

Crisp and Cold Wintry Day

It is crisp and cold here today.  I took a picture of the frost this morning...you can see it on the trees, grass, and the top of the gazebo.  (I don't know if you can see it or not in this picture, but those flowers that were magically growing out there in the boxes...yeah, they're dead now.)

The sun is just rising in this picture.  It isn't quite over the treetops yet.  In the distance you can even see some of our mountains.  There are others about 20 miles northeast from us.  (Hey, Tom...aren't you proud of me?  I used directional words like 'north' and 'east' properly in a sentence.  I hope anyway...lol.  One of my personal deficiencies is the inability to find my way out of a paper bag with only one hole in it.  Yeah for a GPS!!!!)  These mountains aren't as good as TN mountains but they are still pretty to look at.

It was funny...I took this picture for the blog today and not 10 minutes later, Tom sends me an email and talks about it being cold this morning but that he liked it this way.  We think so much alike.  It has been wet and cold here lately and we don't like that kind of weather.  This feels like Christmas is really on the way.

As I've talked about on the blog before, I have a Boeing Wellness Health 'person' that calls me and discusses ways to relieve stress (meditation was one of their suggestions...I tried it and told them..."Yeah, good luck with that...I can hardly sit still for 5 minutes, what else have you got?").  They hooked me up with a cancer nurse who answers all my questions pertaining to what I am going through right now.  

So, she called me yesterday and we discussed 'Cancer stuff'.  I almost didn't answer the phone because I wasn't in the mood nor did I think she could provide me with any info that I hadn't already researched and figured out but, actually, she was a wealth of information.  She had a good analagy for why chemo seems to hit me harder each time I get another dose.  She said it was like I started out taking chemo with an empty sack.  Then with each dose, 10 lbs of weights are added to the sack.  So, now I am up to 50 lbs of weights that I have to drag around with me.  She also said it takes about 6 months (on average) to recover from chemo.  So, by next July I should be feeling like my old self.  Hope, hope, hope...there is always hope that keeps me going.  8-)

I asked her about the 'smelling weird stuff' problem I have.  I smell chemo everywhere I go, all over the house, and my sense of smell is so heightened that I can't even stand my husband's cleaning solution for his electric razor.  (This currently resides in the garage because it was so nauseating...sorry, honey.)  She explained that not only have I lost all the hair on my head but also in my nose, which filtered out smells, so now I am getting them full force.  I had never thought about losing the hair in my nose...good grief, I never even thought about having hair in my nose before.  That also explains the increased allergies since chemo to some degree probably. 

Anyway, we talked about other stuff too but suffice it to say that she was just a wealth of information.

My cousin Andrea is going to send me some aloe plants.  I didn't even know she was reading the blog and poof, yesterday she posted that she has an entire yard full of aloe.  She lives out west and I don't know if it grows wild or if she just grows it because she likes the plant.  God is always preparing ways to meet needs, isn't he?  I am so blessed in so many ways that I can't even count.  (Thanks, Andrea for helping out!)

Hope everyone is having a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Babe, Yeah, as you know, I am an early bird too. Awake at 4:50 but didn't arise until 7 a.m., because I just lay there and rested and watched the local news on my little tv in the bedroom. I decided to get up and see if my internet was still working this morning, and it was. :)
    I am so glad you have resources like the health lady nurse, and cousin Andrea. She knows a lot about a lot of different things and is a good friend to have. Thank you, Sobrina Andrea.
    It is cold here this morning too.
    Thank you, Babe, for the continuing info on how you are doing and for reaching out to us. We love you both so very much. Forever...Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sunny and 70 in San Diego....next to heaven this place. In pre-retirement class over here thru Saturday. Beach walk every afternoon as the sun leans toward the horizon.

    Will have Vern UPS you a few aloe plants early next week.

    I'm confident that, despite yer issues w/ nurturing vegetation, you should be able to pot these indoors and pluck off leaves for an aloe fix as you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you have warm weather where you are right now! How jealous I am...lol. Hard to believe that I am my grandparent's granddaughter with my 'growing plants' deficiency. Ah well...I've long ago realized the world won't end because of it. 8-) We shall see how it goes...thanks so much to you and David (Vern) both! Give him a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. A friend of mine (the one who told me about the aloe plant in the first place) gave me a humongous aloe plant yesterday. Between this and Andrea's plants, you should be set. I am not sure how to anchor it so that it doesn't fall apart in mailing...I'm going to consult a florist to get advice. If I were digging it up, I'd just bubble wrap and enclose that in cardboard (any ideas, Andrea?) but this is an old plant with lots of spikes. I'll get it to you soon!

    Oh...she said that after you remove the leaf, knead it to get the aloe loosened. She said that helps you access the whole goodie inside the leaf.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)