Sunday, November 28, 2010

Recovering

The past 44 hours have been challenging. 

OK, I'm done with the blog...that sums it up.  (Just kidding but (really) unless you want to read a lot of whining, close out the blog now.)

I was a little tired when I went to get my Neulasta shot two days ago but when I got back, I was totally drained.  So, I did the only thing any self-serving person would do...I went to bed.  That was around 11:30 am on Friday.  When Tom got home, around 4:30, I made myself get out of bed and spend some time with him and eat.  Then I went back to bed and stayed until this morning.  (about 32 hours later) 

Yesterday, I couldn't walk without help.  Today, I'm walking very well.  My BP was 98/47 this morning which is a bit low even for me but since I am up and moving around then I'm not too worried about it being low.  (AND I'm playing Farmville and blogging again...that's a good sign I'm on the mend since I could have cared LESS about any computer business for about 44 hours.) 

Tom did a great job taking care of me yesterday...he washed the chemo out of my sheets, helped me through the showering business, fed me, made sure I drank water, took my vitals, and even called the nurse on duty when he was concerned about my temp and lethargy. 

Of course, yesterday, I was saying, "I'm not doing this again.  Are they TRYING to kill me?  Sure seems like breast cancer would be better than this."  Today, I am thinking I will do it again since it is really just a couple of days of really BAD business and it DIDN'T kill me.  Today, I feel like I did on Taxotere...just tired and beaten down. 

I am very thankful that I didn't have to work for the last 4 days.  It would have been impossible.  I have even considered going on short term disability to get through this since my company offers it but today would be the "Monday" on my next treatment and I could probably work through this tiredness and nausea.  My next treatment will be on the 9th and then I get to do this the day before Christmas.  O JOY.  8-)

Okay...another thing to be thankful for...I have not had bone pain from the Neulasta shot this time.  I think my white count was low enough this time for it to have made a difference.   You may remember from much earlier blogs that they gave me the Neulasta shot with the first Taxotere chemo and I had terrible bone pain.  (After that, I told them I would not be taking the Neulasta with any more of the Taxotere treatments which they agreed to but made me understand that I have no choice on the AC Chemo.)  I looked back at my white counts prior to the shot and they were actually already high (probably because I had just had surgery to put the port in and I'm sure my body saw that port as a foreign body and sent white blood cells in to the rescue...so they were already producing in full force.) and this time, they were actually borderline low when I got the AC Chemo.  WHO KNOWS...all I know is that the pain is absent and I'm very happy about that.

One final thing, Tom has confirmed that I am not a mean chemo drunk on AC chemo.   Nor am I particularly emotional...just wiped out.  The mess around the bedroom that I continued to generate didn't bother me either which is pretty amazing.  (Being as OCD about clean as I am...) 

Well, I'm going to go lay down for a while since I have now expended what energy I had stored up and then later today I need to wrap the Christmas presents to send off to people as soon as I have some more stored up.

I hope everyone is having a great day....mine is certainly better than yesterday.  8-)

3 comments:

  1. It was difficult watching her through this, but I try to keep in mind why she is doing this. Not an easy task watching someone you love in misery. She is better today though and that is promising. I just need to make sure that she doesn't over-extend herself. Now, if I could just get her to give me an idea of what she wants for Christmas. She knows what I want (I think she already has it), so you all need to get on her to tell me what she wants....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, Tom, wish I knew what she wanted, but I don't. So glad you are there taking care of her, though. That means the world to us and to her as well. Nothing like having someone who loves you to be a present help in time of need. If she happens to tell me, I'll sure pass it on.

    Teresa, isn't it wonderful to have gone through a rough patch and be able to come out on the other side thanking God for the help He gives? I love you both. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! Tom, you're wonderful. Thanks so much for what you're doing...I know firsthand the hardest part is watching them suffer...and NOT being able to fix it. Coming out on the other side IS nice, if even just a break!

    I'll go fishing, Tom. :-)

    Good post, Sis. It's very affirming to hear what you are going through, and realize we aren't crazy....it's just a black hole you live in for a while. I'm glad for the blessings!

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)