Monday, November 29, 2010

Visitors

We were sitting in the living room watching TV and Tom hears Shadow going spastic in the dining room window.  (For anyone that hasn't been following this blog...Shadow is a very fat nine year old cat that is part of our family.)  We get up and look outside and there is a young cat (less than a year but more than 6 months I would guess) sitting outside the dining room window trying to get to Shadow.   Shadow is very interested in her but we aren't sure if it is "I like you" interest or "Get off my turf" interest.  So I go to the front door and the kitten is standing there and tries to come in when I open the door.

Obviously, this isn't a feral cat.

When I open the door a little wider, she just prances in like she owns the place.

"Well", I think, "we'll see how this goes."   We needed some new entertainment, anyway.

The cat is a very pretty and clean gray striped female.  I'm thinking that two female cats in one house probably won't go over so well. 

The kitten is walking around the living room as if she owns it and Shadow (of course...the BIG CHICKEN) is hiding behind the couch and growling.  I thought, "Too funny...she was all over that kitten when the window was between them but put them in the same room and she is 20 pounds of a cowering 'fraidy' cat."

I wish I had thought to get a picture.  But alas...chemo brain didn't even think of it.

This morning, Shadow had about 1000 other visitors.  One of the things that I found odd and beautiful when we first moved here was that early in the morning, in the fall, absolutely FLOCKS of birds gather in one place and talk to each other.  I have no idea what type of birds these are, but from Oct - Dec, you will, at some time, see literally thousands of them congregating in a group of trees.  It is as though they are migrating and they all stop to rest.  I used to see them out where I worked (just when I would arrive at work) but this morning, they were all in our backyard perching in the trees along the property line.  Shadow (of course) spied them and sat totally entertained for the 10 minutes or so that they were resting.  It was kind of like the scene from the old movie "The Birds" which I think was an Alfred Hitchcock directed thriller where all these birds were gathering and attacking humans.  EXCEPT, when they gather here and I see them, it always leaves me with a peaceful feeling instead of the scared feeling you get in the movie. 8-)

Of course, again...I didn't think to get a picture. 

Back to the kitten though...

She obviously belonged to someone because when it came time for her to go back outside (which was within a couple of minutes of entering since Shadow was saying quite vehemently, "Get that Cat off of my turf!"), Tom was able to pick her up and put her gently back outside. 

A couple of hours later, the neighbors came by with the cat wanting to know if she was ours.  (I guess we are the cat people in the neighborhood.  Everyone else has dogs and they all like to use our yard...go figure.  No leash law where we live in AL...can you believe that?  Well, it IS Alabama.)  We assured them that she wasn't ours.  8-) 

That's about all that is going on here...hope everyone is having a great day today!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Babe...good post, and with your excellent description, I could see the whole thing without a photo.:)
    Those birds are called Starlings and they are considered by some to be a real nuisance. They are originally from England, and were brought over here to get rid of some other pest, maybe the Japanese beetle, I don't remember.
    They are beautiful and they do stop to rest in large numbers. You probably have not noticed them before because you have not been at home days in a row like now. I am glad they give you a feeling of peace.
    That kitten sounds really cute. I am seriously considering getting a kitten this winter. I don't think I have enough people visiting that it would make any difference.
    Glad you are doing okay today. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)