Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Remembrances of People I Love

I have a card (that a pastor from our old church in Navarre gave me) stuck to the door on the hutch to my desk.  (It actually is in a sleeve that you can stick to things.  The glue is pretty much worn out on the back of the sleeve, but I have it wedged in between the glass and wood of the hutch door.)  Of course, it is a bible verse (what else would Pastor Moritz have given me?).  It says, "Trust in Him at all times, ye people; pour out your heart before Him.  God is a refuge for us."  It comes from Psalm 62:8.  Under it it says "A reminder from Bob and Shirley Moritz".  It's been up there for probably 7 years.  When I am feeling tossed about and out of control, I find myself reading that and getting comfort. 

We never know how the things that we give to others might help them from one time to the  next.  I am not usually a keeper of 'things' but every once in a while I get a nugget like that one that feeds my soul and lifts my spirit. 

I also have a picture of my son, from when he was about 12, wedged into the other door to the hutch.  He has the largest, sweetest eyes and a precious grin on his face.  I love to look at that picture and remember when he was smaller and needed me in the way that only children need their moms.  He never went through the terrible teens.  He was always a quiet child as though he was thinking about things before he would ever speak.  Don't get me wrong...he wasn't perfect and he is making some of the usual mistakes in adulthood that I made but that's ok.  He has to learn from his own mistakes.  I know that I certainly learned from mine.  8-)

He wanted to come home and take care of me when I was first diagnosed but I had to explain to him that this was going to go on for months...there was no way he could come and stay that long.  I thought it was really sweet that he wanted to though.  He sends me a text message about every other day asking how I am.  He has a good heart. 

We had a psychologist tell us once that a child's brain isn't fully developed until it is 25.  I believe that to be true.  We have seen a great increase in maturity in our son this year.  He just turned 25 in August.

I have other things that I enjoy that people have given me as well.  Mom mom gives me the most unique gifts.  My house is filled with them but one in particular that I see everyday is a little turtle that states on the underside of its shell that it is from the Loose Neck Collection.  Here is a picture of it since there is no way I can explain it very clearly.  When you touch it's head, it wobbles around.  Very cute and colorful (like my Mom).


My sister gave me a gift of two girl statues (many years ago) and when you put them together, they are holding hands.  A representation of she and I.  (See Carol, I got the symbolism...lol)  She is the one whose hands are on the outside because she had to always be in charge.  8-)  I guess older sisters are just like that.  I look at these figurines and think of her often.


My son, mom, and sister are living in different states so I don't see them often and I like to have these little reminders of them sitting around where I can reflect on the way our lives have been woven together and apart over the years.  They are all little reminders that I am loved.  8-)

I have many gifts from my husband but the best one is his heart.  He continues to give daily with that gift.  I am truly thankful for all our years together.  There is no one in the world that I would rather have by my side with all the struggles that we are currently facing.

5 comments:

  1. I feel like crying,those things are so precious.Knowing your family is there in spirit is wonderful.Your Tom sounds like a wonderful man.My prayers are with you,may God bless you today and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barbara. I didn't mean to make you weepy. What a sweet heart you must have....8-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Babe! She does have a very sweet heart that is filled with love and concern for others. You don't know what it means to me to read of how you have saved little mementos and look at them, and remember how much you are loved.
    As you well know. I am a collector of little items like that and quite often look at them and remember.......
    I have a box of cards that I have saved over the years that contain personal letters ( a big box) and every once in a while, I take them out and go through them and cry...bittersweet memories flit through my mind. I remember the love that prompted them and thank our God for the people who cared enough to write them.
    Love you'n's forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked the sisters thing. I'd try to deny the "oldest child" thing, but too many people would laugh me off the blog if I did...:-)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all have little momentos that we keep just because they mean something to us. It is nice to hear someone does the same thing. Thank you Teresa for your blog. I enjoy reading and keeping up with your progress each week. May God bless you as you go thru each day. Praying for you. Love you, Darlene

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)