Friday, October 29, 2010

The Good Week

So, this what I call "The Good Week". 

This is the third week after chemo.  It is obvious that my white and red cells have regenerated.  My energy level is up and my desire to live has risen as well.  Tom is home today and we've been spring cleaning (even though it is fall) because my allergies have been so bad and because it just needs to be done. 

Since the new curtains have arrived, we also cleaned the living room windows and blinds.  All the windows need cleaning but my energy only goes so far.  HA!  When we're done, all the furniture will be dusted and the floors cleaned.  I always feel so much better when I at least get that much cleaned.  (Yeah, I still have a bit of 'must be clean' phobia...but that's not really so bad, is it?)

Tom is so tolerant of my wants...I say, "Would you like to clean the outside of the living room windows?" and he honestly replies, "No...but I will if that is what you want me to do."   I just adore this guy.   Of course, it isn't enough that he does it, he has to do it MY way.  8-)  Over the years, he has learned this and patiently waits for me to direct.  He has a mind of his own, believe me, but he does pick his battles.  8-)  Of course, sometimes, he forges on with what he THINKS I want done and sometimes I bite my tongue and sometimes I tell him what I really want him to do.  This has always been a sore point between us and I try to bite my tongue more often than not.  During the third week after chemo it is pretty safe for him to forge on because I am actually able to bite my tongue and let him.  Week one or week two after chemo...nope...not so much.  No real control during those weeks so we don't plan on doing much 'together' during that time.  I pretty much hole up as far away from him as I can get so I don't do irreparable damage to our relationship.  He is my life.  I would really HATE to run him off.

This is Thaiday Friday.  Which means it's Friday and we eat Thai tonight.  I'll actually get to taste it this week.  Tomorrow we are going shopping and that will be a fun day.  I still need to find the curtain rod that will fit the living room windows.  We also need to get the regular stuff to survive next week with.  You know....the boring shopping of sundry items and groceries.  Not so boring to me right now.  I get to SEE PEOPLE out in the world.  WHOO WHOO!!  I always hated shopping before but now I just see it as an opportunity to get out of these four walls.

So, this is my Good Week.  I'm definitely going to make the most of it but at the same time follow all the 'clean' routines of washing my hands often and staying out of large congregations of people. 

Remember I talked about our change in health care for next year?  Along with the changes, we have a requirement to do a "Boeing Wellness" survey.  Once you complete the survey, they tell you where your health problems lie.  HA HA HA...I am rolling here.  My one really bad area is stress.  NO KIDDING.  So, I have to go through a 4 week program addressing my stressors.  First stress tip they give me "Be selfish.  No matter how busy you are, set aside at least a few minutes for yourself everyday."  They have no idea.  I am totally selfish right now...don't think that's gonna make a difference.  HA!  How do you get rid of the stressors of Cancer...yeah...they aren't really looking at us as individuals...we are just Dilbert numbers.  Cattle in a cattle feed line.  This is TOO FUNNY.

So, now I am going through the "Learning to react to life stressors in a healthy way" section.  Here are the strategies.

Eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise and plenty of sleep.
Practicing relaxation techniques
Fostering healthy friendships
Having a sense of humor
Seeking professional counseling when needed

I've covered all of those except the last one.  Since this really is a short term stressor, I think I can make it without bringing in the professionals.  LOL

OK, enough prattling on for today. 

Hope everyone is having a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Babe! Yeah, this has been an interesting and pretty good week, hasn't it? I am so glad for you. Maybe if the next week when it is not going so well, you can go back and read this week's and remember that the good days will come again, it will help you get through them. I don't know when you get your next chemo treatment, (next Friday?), but it has been a happy time for me knowing that you are having a good week this one. Just keep on keeping on, and we'll be there with you in spirit and love.
    Love you'n's forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waaaaayyyyy too funny! Does anybody read the answers before they make assignments!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea. This is the first year we have had to do this.

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)