Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rain Rain, Go Away

It's rainy out today. 

It was rainy out yesterday. 

I think winter is trying to creep in. 

Shadow was mad at me because I wouldn't open a window.  She was running around the house yeowling from window to window and literally attacking things.  (She is big enough to create havock when she wants to.)  I've created a monster.  Since I've been home, I open a window for her either in the office or the breakfast nook but I can't today because every window has water splashed on it so it would be raining in.  (I guess the wind is blowing the rain into the windows in different directions.)  I never open the living room windows which lead out to the patio (not really sure why) but I looked at the patio and it was dry for about 6 feet after the window so I finally opened one of those and she currently seems to be content.  (MUST HAVE PEACE)  Yeah, I spoiled my kids this way too.  lol

OK, back to Tom's jury duty.  So, he gets out to the jail and the sheriff leads them all around the facility, sleeping area (apparently it is like a dormatory), chow hall, laundry room, etc...you get the idea.  All the time, the sheriff is talking about how they don't have enough high security (single inmate) cells.  They built the jail about 6 years ago and at the time, they didn't need that many (I think Tom said they only have 1 if I remember right) but now I guess we have harder criminals in the area that need to be separated from the not so hard criminals.  (Yeah, that makes me feel safer here..HA)  Anyway, when he got back to the courthouse, the jurors had to fill out some report stating the conditions of the jail facilities.  I think the sheriff was wanting them to go back and push for more single unit cells. 

The nice thing about yesterday is that he got to come home and have lunch with me so that was a nice break to my day.  I actually got to see a human being in the middle of the day and since it is someone I loved, that made it even better.  8-)

After they got back they also had to review 6 cases where the arresting officer brings in his reasons why he thinks the prisoner should be taken to trial and the jury decides whether the case will go to trial or not.  Tom said it was all very interesting and enjoyed the break from the 'normal' workday but wouldn't want to do it for a living.  Oh yeah, and on top of all that, they paid him $11.  10 dollars for jury duty and a dollar for gas.  It absolutely cracked me up.  They said that it has been that same amount for years and years and supposedly have tried to increase the amount paid to the jurors but it has never been approved.  Good thing he gets paid by his company for his jury duty also...lol...we would hate to try to live on $11. 

Hope everyone is having a great day!  Now that there is cat peace in my house, I know I will.  8-)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Babe...Thank Tom for the tour of the local constabulary. (and you, too, of course). I felt like I was right there with him. I can see the Sheriff's point of view, too. Really smart of him to do the tour and questionnaire! The reimbursement, is, of course, a travesty, but probably in keeping with the budget. I'm glad Tom was able to come home and have lunch with you!

    I can just see Shadow racing around the house searching for an open window. She is a hoot! It rained here last night too. I woke up in the night and heard it storming outside. I loved it!
    Now today, it is quite cool outside. I guess I'll go out and do some shopping after while.
    Love you'n's forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)