Friday, November 19, 2010

All About Time

So...here we are...ready to shop for Christmas presents again.  It's almost Christmas Time.

This year has absolutely FLOWN by. 

I can remember being a child and wishing my life away.  I wanted to be 13 so I would be a 'teenager'.  I wanted to be 18 so I could move out and live on my own.  (I was an idiot...why would I want to give up lack of responsibility and free room and board?)  I wanted to be 21 so I would be considered a 'legal' adult.  Time passes so SLOWLY when you are young.  I thought those 'milestones' would never arrive.

Next thing I know, I'm wanting to put the brakes on and slow time down.  I didn't want to turn THIRTY.  That was almost dead in my head.  I literally went into a deep dark depression for my thirtieth birthday.  My sister sent me black balloons for that birthday...(Nice, Carol).  I imagined all my cells were dying and I had one foot in the grave.  (Still an idiot)

Then I had my son.  I wanted to see him walk, talk, start school, grow up.  (Again with the rushing time thing...still an idiot.) 

Now, I just want it to slow down.  I want time to really get to know my family and let them get to know me.  I want to understand how my son's head works and get to know him better than I do right now.  I don't want work to be the focus of my life.  (In fact, if I could afford to retire this next year in June, I would do so but I have bigger plans for our retirement so I will keep working for about 3-4 more years, which, according to our accountant, should leave us sitting comfortably.)

One thing I have learned is that, during our retirement years, we are going to need to get some hobbies to keep from getting too housebound and driving each other crazy.  (I've learned this to be true during this 'housebound' time.)

Anyway, back to Christmas.  Carol invited me to be part of their group in Giftsters.  Yeah Mom for telling me about it and Yeah Carol for adding me!  I put what I wanted in there.  I want no more chemo and hair...I wonder if anyone can get those for me?  lol  I had a lot of fun looking at what everyone else wanted. 

I guess I'll have to come up with something else so Tom can get me something for Christmas...I just can't think of anything I need or want right now.  I mostly want him to be happy. 

Originally, I planned to go to Carol's this Christmas, before all this cancer stuff hit.  We were saving our vacation so we could go out there for a few days and visit with everyone but we'll have to wait until next year now.  Sigh.  BUT...as fast as time is flying, it will be here before I know it.

Hope everyone is having a great day!  (The picture still has a sunny look today, Sis.)

9 comments:

  1. (Happy face back)
    I love the post! I love that we are all connected again. I love God's timing in our paths. I also love the Gifster thing...way fun!

    Sorry about the 30 thing...I had no idea! :-(

    Have a fun shopping weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I had no idea at the time on the 30 thing...I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...no worries...I had forgotten about it until I was reflecting this morning and was never mad at you. I knew you were just having fun with me. I probably shouldn't have put it in the blog...it's funny now though to think what an idiot I was back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually thought it was #40, (it's been a while!) and took no offense. I only consider myself guilty for errors of choice, not accident! :-) It really is, on the idiot thing, to think of what we used to think was so crucial! I guess that's why older people make better grandparents than parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Babe, well I may be considered un normal, but I can't think of a single birthday that I haven't enjoyed being happy at that age. Each one has so many wonderful things about it...I guess people have just made me so happy with each one that I had. Never been depressed with any age...call me Pollyanna, but that is how it is.
    This was a really neat post, getting to look inside your heads (yours and Carol's both).
    I am still trying to understand how and what my children think. Guess I will never really know for sure.I know I would rather die than hurt either one of them.
    Love you'n's forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teresa, be glad that you got 30 black balloons on your 30th. Kevin (my son) bought me 50 black balloons on my 50th. What do you do with 50 black balloons? It was funny to see him get them out of his truck, and we still laugh about it still. Yes time flys by but just think of the memories that we are making each day. Love your post today. Keep praying for you and your hubby also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wrong wrong...Kevin...shame on you. 8-) I'm surprised he even got 50 blown up balloons in the cab of the truck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with your mom,I try to find something good in every birthday.I use to say It didn't bother me to turn 30,40,or 50 but I don't know about the 60 thing,well guess what now I am in the 70s thing,and still going.I turned 71 in Oct.Anyway have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Mom....don't try to understand us completely...the mystery would be gone! :-) AND...Just in case you have something rolling around in that cute gray head of yours...don't worry about hurting us...people in families do hurt each other...forgive each other...and love each other. (No, you haven't hurt me!) That's part of being family!

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)