Wednesday, November 24, 2010

AC Chemo #1

Today I learned what AC stands for. The 'A' is for Adriamycin' and I am not allergic to that one. It is red chemical that they give directly from a syringe into my port. The 'C' is for Cytoxan. I AM allergic to that one. I actually thought I was going to get through this one without the allergic reactions. I was very hopeful when we got through the adriamycin with no reaction. O well..it is what it is.

Both of these chemicals fight a lot of other cancers also. Too many to list in this blog while typing on my iPad. Ha!  However, of interest to my sister, they are also used to fight Multiple Myeloma.   Did Daryl take these?

I am in the same chair I had last time. Number six. The nurse first directed me to number four which kind of excited me because it is next to the window and because that number is closer to number one which psychologically makes me feel 'more special'.  BUT there was someone in number four when I went to it. Then I was in a quandary...should I tell the guy that he is in my seat or should I go back and tell the nurse that someone else was in MY chair.  Hmmmm...

Ok, I opted to tell the nurse and she was like, "WHO took my number four chair?" (Imagine the story going like Goldilocks and the Three Bears...WHOSE been sitting in MY CHAIR?)  and I got to see the two nurses duke it out. My nurse lost but I really was ok with not getting a window seat.  So, here I am in chair number six again. 

When the allergy kicked in, it was different than the last time. My allergic reaction to the Taxotere was itching on my back and a beet red face that acted like sunburn.  I hated the flushing face.  It lasted for about three days and then the skin on my face peeled just like with sunburn.  This time, just my chest itches with no face involvement. 

We are home now after doing a quick Walmart run to find some new movies to watch and some cat treats. (Must have cat treats...must keep cat calm and happy...)  I am very tired (I'm not getting my usual steroid high like I usually do...bummer.) but the nausea medicine seems to be working because I was able to eat a sandwich for lunch with no repercussions.  Tom picked up my prescription for the nausea medicine that I have to take tomorrow and Friday so we are good to go with those.   (YEAH TOM!)

The nurse told me that the Adriamycin is a vesicant and, if put directly on the skin, will cause your skin to die and they have had patients that had to have surgery to remove the dead skin after it leaked out of the IV.  I asked her about the veins and arteries and she said that the walls of the veins and arteries are stronger and can take the medicine fine.  I find that amazing.  Veins and arteries are apparently built to take a lot of poison before collapsing...well, that is good for me, huh?  LOL

Well, I believe I've probably bored you guys enough with chemo talk.   I'm going to call it a day and go vegetate in front of the TV with some movies. 

Hope everyone is having a great day...mine really hasn't been all that bad for a chemo day.   8-)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Babe...Thank you for the very good descriptive update! You write so well it is almost like I am there with you physically instead of just emotionally. Glad you are doing well so far. Thank you, Tom, for looking out for our Teresa. I enjoyed the reference to the 3 bears. ha. Rest well tonight you two.
    Loving you all. Mom

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)