Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What Do I DO?

I have a career in Integrated Scheduling.  Yeah...you're asking "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?"

Not really that much...lol.  All projects for my company must have a 'plan'.  A 'plan' is a schedule of events that keep the project on task.

I used to have to build schedules.  Now I teach other schedulers how to build schedules, help them with tool problems, and give them training.  Some days are fun.  Some...not so much.

I also create a visual each week of how all the schedules are doing with something called "OPP Diagnostics".  These are a kind of 'health metric' for the schedule. 

There are two major parts to the OPP Diagnostics.  The errors and the warnings.  This week I was praising all the schedulers because they were all green in the error part of the diagnostics.  First time in two years, they finally achieved MY goal.  Amazing.  However, the warnings were still showing up with some red and yellow.  In the same email, I encouraged them to work their warnings now that they had their errors cleaned up.

One scheduler writes me back "We ignore warnings."

Nice.

I can see how my work day is going to go.  HA.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Babe! You make it sound simple, but I know from observation, that it is not as simple and easy as it sounds. You do it so well, though. Love you'ns forever. Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I figured it best to not get too complicated...lol. Besides...can't give away trade secrets...big grin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Emily just got promoted to do the job you do in her company...she wants to keep this job and is REALLY suited to this...it's the 3rd position she's held there...they're trying to get her in just the right spot.

    Is there any advice or help you can give her? They're willing to give her some budget to accomplish the goal...it's a graphic design firm, and they all work on the same projects...just whatever needs working on next. she's trying to get them all in the "green" as you say, in staying ahead of the "we're late" curve on the design projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I'd have had no idea what integrated scheduling was if I hadn't read this. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)