Sunday, September 26, 2010

Things That Change Us

I was thinking about my grandmother this morning.

What would she think of our world today?  (So many technology distractions that pull us away from reality...)

I always got the impression that she felt TV was a sin and a big waste of time.  What would she think about it now?   TV has changed so much, due to lack of censorship, that my husband and I don't even subscribe to cable anymore.  If my grandmother were alive today, the commercials alone would embarrass her.

She lived a very simple and God centered life.  She worked hard all her life but she knew how to laugh and have fun.  She had a good balance to her life, I think.  Now you have to realize that I am looking back at her from probably 38 + years ago.  I had a child's view and our world was so different then.

She was always trying to make us into better people.  She read us the Bible and insisted we go to church.  She sent us after 'switches' when we were errant.  She also told us wonderful scary stories about ghosts...supposedly true stories she had experienced.  I have loved science fiction all my life and I think it is because of these stories.  She had these 'sayings' she would preach to us such as "Things that you do, do with your might, things done by halves are never done right."  I don't know the times I took out stitches in something I was sewing that wasn't just perfect or rewrote a paper for school because I knew I wasn't living up to my potential.  At what point did trying to be 'perfect' take over my life? 

We influence those in our lives in many ways that we probably don't even realize.  When faced with our own mortality, don't we find ourselves wondering if we've made any difference in the lives around us?  Do we change because we wonder this? 

Well...that was all too deep...see what 'crashing' puts on my blog...lol.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Babe - Good insights and philosophising (spell check says that isn't a word, but don't you believe it!)on how life changes. The changes in life and how we deal with the tough times are what can make the difference. You are making a difference because you are handling them just fine. She never expected perfection, just to do the best we could. Just as she dealt with tough times, you are doing the same. We just do the best we can. Love you forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to grant Mom the word, because I can't spell it, and it sounds right. :-)

    Daryl has done alot of thinking about mortality, and now that he is sort of "chronic", he thinks a lot about how to dream and think of the future, and how to live now. When an illness consumes your time, it's hard to plan.

    Most of us know we're mortal in theory, but how many of us actually come up against mortality? It does change how you look at things...I believe that perspective is the first thing that changes when faced with death. When Mark (Kathy and Steve's son) died, it changed us immediately. The things we called "Important" changed. We never allowed ourselves since that day to leave each other's presence with unresolved anger or attitudes.

    I believe that cancer does that same sort of thing...God rearranges our perspectives through trials and hardships...He gets us honed down to just what is eternal, and what is not. I would say that Daryl changed in what he thinks is worth fretting over and what he now lets go.
    I know I have.

    As far as Grandma and perfection, I have that very quote at my house that I gave her years ago....it certainly influenced me, but I think it just nurtured a quality that was already there. I've had to see some of my perfectionistic tendencies as sin...sometimes (this is my attitudes I'm looking at here, mind you...you'll have to analyze your own self on your own) anyhow, sometimes my tendencies were so self centered (I have to have this just right, I can't stand this if it isn't perfect, I have to do this this way or it will drive me crazy) that there was no other way to look at it. Me, me, me. God has had to deal with that in me, and I still don't have the lesson down quite right. Sometimes, Daryl was willing to help God help me see where I was off-base. HA! I'm getting better, but not there. This job has helped me let a lot go....there's no other option!

    You make a difference in my life. You're like the sunshine coming in a window...warm and embracing the heart. This blog is making a difference...your transparency is letting me into "how you think".

    Love you! ~Carol

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)