Thursday, September 30, 2010

Lady, You've Got a Fat Cat

My cat, Shadow, is one of the joys in my life.  8-)

We got her nine years ago this Thanksgiving.  She is a mutt cat but looks like a Russian Blue.  We rescued her from a cat shelter in Florida called, SOCKS (Save Our Cats and Kittens).  I'm not going to even pretend that I own her...she definitely owns me.  She was my empty nest syndrome resolution and it worked really well.  After four kids, it was nice to have something to care for that pretty much cared for herself.  8-)

When she was about a year old, I was concerned because her belly (and only her belly) seemed to be enlarged so I took her to the vet to make sure she was ok.  He examined her thoroughly and while feeling of her belly, looks at me and says, "Lady, you have a fat cat." and proceeded to tell me to put her on this skimpy little diet and play with her more.  Yeah, that didn't work so well.  Eight years later, she is still a fat and lazy cat. 

We tried cutting back her food but she loudly complained about that.  Not little complaints...large caterwalling.  You would have thought we were abusing her if you were listening from outside.

We tried playing with her but she would just look at us and yawn.   We would put a string over her for her to jump up and get and she would roll over on her back and bat at the air (nowhere near the stupid string) and wait for us to drop it low enough for her to grab.  Yeah, we fell for that trick over and over.  We were trainable.  Yessiree....

Wherever I am, there she must be also.  Normally, when I am at my desk, she parks herself BEHIND my work computer and lays her head on the washcloth that I have there for her.  This allows her to peak at me from between the computers and not miss any action in case there might be FOOD coming with me to the computer.  (Yes, I am guilty of giving her leftovers that I can't eat...bad me...I KNOW)  This might also explain why she seems to be another appendage to my body...(things that make you go "hmmmmmm")

This morning, however, she insisted on planting herself BETWEEN my two computers with her tail basically in my face.  Nothing I could do would move her. Considering that, at that point, she owned the mouse to my work computer, there wasn't much work I was going to get done without moving her either.  Since she wouldn't be moved, I pulled gently on the mouse cord to get enough to enable me to get my work done.  (Is this ridiculous or what??)

I was going to take her picture on the guest bed this morning (She owns the guest bedroom...I guess we should call it Shadow's bedroom) but she decided she was curious enough to see what I was up to.   In the picture below you can almost hear her grunting as she gets up to see what I am doing with that stupid camera again.  "Ugh...must move this tonnage I have for a body.  I know I can pull it up, give me just a minute."  NO, those are not muscles rippling on her body...that is fat shaking...


In the picture below, you can almost see her pondering her life but what she is really doing is looking outside at the birds and wondering how she is going to make her escape to take them down.  For nine long years she's been planning that escape.  8-) 

 We love her just the way she is though...even if she is fat and lazy.  8-)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Babe! After living with you all for awhile, I feel like I am right there with you. I really miss seeing you all with Shadow. (She is really one fat cat, but so lovable!) I had thought I might get a cat here, but rather than subject anyone here to the allergies that would happen, I decided not to. I know she is like Tonto - a trusty and faithful companion to you all. Glad you have her to keep you company during the day. Love youn's forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love cats, but their fur hates me! And Julia, and the girls. Sorry Mom! We're worth it. :-)

    Cool pictures! We finally (in a last-ditch effort to keep Skittles) let her go outside...and for all her yowling to get out, she was too afraid to do it! Poor kitty! :-) Two different people gave us the book, "How to live with a Neurotic Cat"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet kitty. I love cats.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Whispering Writer. I read your blog all the time. Your blog brings much laughter into my life and always brings back the memories of raising children. (not ALWAYS pleasant...lol). You are a strong woman to be raising them alone for so long. I love the way you see humor in some of the harder parts of it. 8-)

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)