Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Can you say REMISSION?

Well, one more post in this continuing cancer saga.  8-)  I don't want to leave anything out in case someone could use the information from the process but we are heading towards the end here, I promise.  8-)

I saw my oncologist today and he told me that I can consider myself in 'Remission'.  Yes, I capitalize that word because it is an important word.  I am considered cancer free for the moment.  Isn't that just the greatest news?  Praise God for such a great and gracious gift!

I am now on a medication called "Femara" which is used to block the estrogen and progesterone in my body.  We want to block them because I had the type of cancer that feeds on those hormones.  Don't want to feed any bad cells.  No No NO.  He also put me on a low dosage of Effexor to help with the hot flashes.  Vitamin E helped a little but considering that I am waking up every hour with hot flashes during the night, we needed something more effective to take care of that. 

Because the Femara also causes bone loss (Osteoporosis), I will be getting an infusion every six months to help with that.  I have forgotten the name of the drug they will be infusing but will try to post that at a later time.  I will have to take the infusions for the next 5 years (as long as I am on the Femara).  That's only 10 infusions...that won't be so bad.  I still have my port so I will probably keep it until that is over.

I did get a cute happy dance video from my sister.  (She tried to send me a still picture but as far as I was concerned, that wasn't a real happy dance so she sent me a video. HA!!)  I am going to try to attach it to the blog so you can share in her joy!  (And No...she isn't driving while she's doing this dance...big grin)  She has such a sweet and tender heart!



Speaking of my sister, her son (Daniel J Bennett) has just published his new book called "A Passion for the Fatherless" and I can't wait to get my hands on it.  I am really proud of all that he has accomplished in just 33 years.  He is an amazing young man!  I am so thankful to have lived to see his life shape in the way that it has.  He is also the pastor of a church in Illinois.  Wow...this is all making me feel ancient and as though I have wasted a lot of my life...lol.  I'll have to work on that.  8-)

By Grace Alone -

Teresa

2 comments:

  1. Cute! BTW...you are not old. I know this becaues I am older than you. I am not old. Ergo, you are not old. :-)

    Such good, good news. We trust God, regardless of the outcome. There is no bad outcome when we are in God's hands. However, we are always so glad when the outcome according to His will is one that leaves us together now, as well as we will be later in His presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can:Remission! Whoo hoo! I am so happy for you and for us that we get to keep you with us for a long time to come and that we get to celebrate with you. Congratulations to you and Tom for all the hard work you both did in getting to this point, and also keeping us in the loop as you did. Loven' you'ns forever. Mom God is Good, all the time! Praise Be!

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)