Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Weather, Hormones, and Facials

Gloomy Gloomy Gloomy Day!

We're supposed to get ice storms here today.  Someone (before me) had my cell phone number and every since I got it, I get a phone call from one of the school systems when they let school out early.  (Lucky me...)  I turned my phone on this morning for the first time in 3 or 4 days and found three messages on there from them stating that school would start late on Monday and Tuesday and today they are going to let out early because of the ice storm that is coming.  Yeah...delete, delete, delete.  But at least I know what the weather is doing now.  HA!

I talked with my cancer nurse last night and about the way that this chemo is speeding up the onset of menopause.  (Anyone who feels uncomfortable with this conversation can close out now...8-)  Part of the purpose of the chemo besides getting rid of cancer cells at the cellular level is to deplete estrogen and progesterone from my body.  Since I was estrogen and progesterone positive (which means my type of cancer is fed by estrogen and progesterone) they work to deplete my body of those hormones as much as possible.  So...goody for me...I get to go through early onset menopause.  With Taxotere, I had hot flashes and night sweats only in the evening and at night.  (not sure why only then)  NOW...with the AC chemo treatments....goody, goody, goody, I get to have them every hour on the hour.   Yeah, nausea is bad, exhaustion is bad, mouth sores are bad, but this menopause stuff...I had to know when it was going to end since I am getting it in full doses as opposed to the normal person who might 'occasionally' get a hot flash. 

So, when she called, the first question out of my mouth was, "How long will these hot flashes last?"

She actually laughed.

I couldn't believe she laughed but then she clarified her laughter with, "I wish I had a nickel for every breast cancer patient that asks me that."  OK, so shoot me for being the normal breast cancer patient. 

She also filled me in on the fact that they would be testing my FSH, LH, and some other hormonal blood test to figure out where I am hormonally about 6-8 weeks after chemo is complete.  They will also start me Tamoxifen which is supposed to keep those hormones out of my body.   I get to take that for five years. 

She never did answer the question about 'how long'....whatever.

We talked about the harsh affects to the skin that chemo has and she gave me some good recommendations for unscented lotions and talked about getting a facial for Christmas to pink up my face.  (Because of inability to expose oneself to the sun during chemo, it leaves us a bit pale and the drying of the chemo is hard on the skin too.)  She said that would show me how much better my skin will be after chemo is complete and would boost my morale.  She said to find someplace that uses all natural products that have a fruit or vegetable base.  I've never had a facial and it might be fun to go do when my blood counts are up and before the next treatment.  Products suggested were by a company from Hungary called "Eminence".  I looked them up online and will research further later on.

Not much else going on here except catching up with my regular job.  Lots of work going on there.  It keeps me out of trouble.  8-)

Hope everyone is having a great day! 

3 comments:

  1. hi Teresa,

    hang tough...by all means, get a facial, get one every week if you can afford...they are totally worth every penny...i use Eminence cream around eyes at night...expensive stuff, but outstanding product.

    hope you are getting stronger and the nasties at the cellular level are biting the dust exponentially.
    Love, a

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you. I was going to call this afternoon, but sounds like you might be too tired to jabber. Love you~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Babe, Glad to hear from you again! Good post, and I'm glad too that the nurse had some good feedback for you. Your Aunt Mae took something like that for five years after her breast cancer. Facials sound great! Sorry about the menopause hitting all at once. Bad stuff all tripled up like that. Looking forward to talking to you online again when we can. Love you'ns forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)