Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mental Meanderings

I've been weighing the benefits and detriments of taking what I call my anti-cancer meds.  So many physical ailments come from taking them.  For the lack of quality life, I find myself wondering, "Is it better to have 5 years with a pain free active life or 10 years with constant pain and tribulation."  Big thing to ponder.  In my search for information, I ran across a couple of really good quotes.  Both of them are by Marisa Weiss M.D., Breastcancer.org president and founder, breast radiation oncologist, Philadelphia, PA.

“Running, walking, eventually inching down that path to old age is a welcome goal for any woman, especially one who has had breast cancer. ”

“Menopause is a wake-up call to a new phase of your life, and so is breast cancer. Two wake-up calls can be more than most people can handle, but what's the choice? You sure can't go back to sleep. So get up and decide what you're doing today—and on into the years ahead. ”

On a lighter note...in the evenings after work, I've been cutting fabric to get ready for several projects I'm starting.  Two small ones and one larger one.

The first one is a pincushion.  Believe it or not, I don't have a good pincushion and there is a really cute one in a Piece in the Hoop book that I bought a few weeks ago. 

The second one is a hot pad type thing that goes under the hoop if you want to iron something while it is in the hoop without removing it to do it on an ironing board. 

The last one is something for a guy at work.  He recently lost his mother to cancer and asked me if I could embroider a towel for him with his mother's name, birth date, and death date on it to remember her by.  I told him I would but gave it some additional thought and came with a design for a quilted wall hanging.  When he came to me asking what color towel he should get, I presented him with the wall hanging idea and he was very excited.  8-) 

I'll be working on these projects this weekend. 

Keep Clifford in your prayers...his sister (one of nine brothers and sisters) also has advanced stage lung cancer (which she has been battling for the last year).  She is on her second round of chemo.

Here is some Max for today:

"Hydrate your Soul

By Max Lucado

Don’t deny your anger. Don’t dismiss your loneliness. Your restless spirit. Your sense of dread. Don’t let your heart shrink into a raisin. Hydrate your soul. Heed your thirst!

Not everything you put to your lips will help your thirst. The arms of forbidden love may satisfy for a time, but only for a time. Eighty-hour workweeks grant a sense of fulfillment, but never remove the thirst.

Religion pacifies but never satisfies. Church activities may hide a thirst, but only Christ quenches it. Drink him. And drink of him often!

Don’t you need regular sips from God’s reservoir? I do. I step to the underground spring of God and receive anew his work for my sin and death, the energy of his Spirit, his lordship, and his love.

Receive Christ’s work on the cross, the energy of His Spirit. His unending, unfailing love.

Drink deeply–and drink often!

Jesus said, “…he who believes in Me shall never thirst.” John 6:35"


By Grace Alone -

Teresa






2 comments:

  1. Hey, Babe,
    Good post and one that causes reflection. I, too, live with pain daily. Not the kind you have, but one of aging joints and taking a LOT of medication. I have had thoughts of just throwing my meds away, and I know mine don't cause pain (maybe, I don't know for sure) but I keep on taking them, knowing that they give me additional days that I can spend with family and friends. Sometimes the bad days outnumber the good ones, but the good ones are "OH, so worth it".
    Thank you for the Max, as always it is good for the soul. Really sweet thing to do for your friend, Clifford. I know he is going to love it. Your work is always so awesome.
    Loven' youn's forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 years with a wise balance of what to take and what not to take. :-) Daryl is always challenging his meds, balancing the side effects with the benefits. Of course, Daryl's meds aren't keeping him alive at this point, just managing side effects. We'll pray for wisdom. And Mom, I'm glad you're opting to stay alive! :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)