Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Zometa Infusion

I received my infusion of Zometa today to prevent osteoporosis that could occur because of the Femara medication I am on.  They will be giving me this treatment every 6 months for as long as I am on Femara.  (5 years)  It wasn't bad at all.  They put the needle in my port (at the lab) and then I headed over to the short term area for the infusion.  The nurse talked to me about all the possible side effects.  (Nausea, vomiting, tiredness, fever, headache, loss of appetite, low levels of red blood cells, bone pain, and difficulty breathing and one biggee that is called Osteonecrosis of the jaw which is necrosis (dying) of the jaw bone.  She assured me that only 1% of patients ever get that and it is usually because they had some type of infection in their mouth to begin with.  Niiiiiccce.  

It's three hours after the infusion and so far, no problems.  Yeah!!  Now I have to get some calcium supplements and vitamin D so that the Zometa will have something to work with.  Zometa takes the calcium in your blood stream and deposits it into your bones.  Pretty cool, huh?  Well, it only works if you have calcium in your blood stream to deposit.  HA!   

I went back to the office to work this week and it has been fine so far.  My white count is still slightly low so I am still being cautious around sick people.  Of course, you can't deny someone a hug if they want to give you one and that seems to be the favorite thing to do around here since I got back.  8-)  I work with a lot of really nice and caring people.

I hate that I don't have a lot of chat time with Mom now that I'm back at work.  It is back to the hectic pace again and I work all day, rush home to cook supper, and then collapse on the couch for about an hour before bed.  It was nice to play and chat together for a while anyway.  8-)  I'm sure we'll catch up on the weekend.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

By Grace Alone -

Teresa

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad the infusion went well. Daryl has found that if they do the infusion too quickly, he feels awful (he does Arridia)(Aredia). His are about 3 hours, too. Those are amazing people who serve the infusion rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Babe, I just happened to check to see if you had posted lately. I'm glad you have had no problems (well at least on Tuesday) and hope you haven't had any since. I really miss talking to you, too. Loven' youn's forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)