Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Arrival of the Crate

We've been busy...wow.

We got our HUGE crate filled with the gazebo parts last week.  I thought we were going to have him put it in our 3rd garage space but nuh uh...no way was he going to get it into the garage.  The main reason was that he had a huge long truckbed and he couldn't get it turned around in order to drop it into the garage.  The driver and I stood there looking at the huge box on the truck for a few minutes and I said...well, let's just line it up to the middle of the driveway on the grass.  I figured that would give Tom and I plenty of room to walk around it while we emptied it.  Plus, he wouldn't be hitting any sprinkler heads with it when he dumped it off the truck.  As you can see on the side of the box, it weighed 1764 lbs and was 85X86X58 inches.  It was shrink wrapped in a tough plastic material that I had fun cutting off.  Here is a visual for you...

I was home before Tom so I had cut off the plastic and started taking the crate apart before he got there.  I had my little flat head screwdrive and hammer and I was breaking apart those 4 inch staples that were holding the wood together with much much much effort.  After about 30 minutes of diligent labor, I finally got the first board broken off.  Then Tom came home and he went out to the shed and got a crowbar and a 4 lb hammer and proceeded to rip the other three into separate pieces in about 5 minutes.  Sigh.

Tom and I unloaded it and stored all the parts except the roof in the garage.  The roof we put out in the shed.  More on the building of the gazebo at a later date since we haven't built it yet...LOL.

I absolutely HATE to fire someone.  I always get these people to clean my house and then when they deteriorate, I let them know what I need done differently (which I also hate to have to do but I want to give them a chance to get it right) but I will let months go by before I will give up and let them go because I hate confrontations.  I got really lucky with this one.  When I called her, her daughter answered and I asked if her mother was there and she said "No" so I left a message and told her that I was able to clean my own house now and thanks for her services.  Whew...(I know...I'm a wuss.)

Don't we all enjoy knowing that we're unique?  That we are the only one like us that God made?  (Much like a snowflake...)  Max reaffirms this in today's devotional.  (I am still looking for the one thing that only I can do...lol.)

"You are Unique

By Max Lucado

Each of us is an original.  Galatians 5:26, The Message

There are certain things you can do that no one else can.  Perhaps it is parenting, or constructing houses, or encouraging the discouraged.  There are things that only you can do, and you are alive to do them. 
In the great orchestra we call life, you have an instrument and a song, and you owe it to God to play them both sublimely."

By Grace Alone -

Teresa

4 comments:

  1. I'm getting ready to hire my first housekeeper. Any advice on what to say/expect/ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Babe...I know how much you hate to let someone go, but after giving them plenty of chances to get it right, ya just gotta do it, I reckon... I was thinking about all those staples in your yard...do you have a metal detector to pick them up (the ones you might have missed, or did you put each one in a trash can as you removed them? (I'm thinking of lawnmower tires, etc. ) Hope you find a good housekeeper.. As for your uniqueness, there is no other like you. You are perfect for me. Thanks for the Max, as always. Loven' youn's forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol...how should I know what to tell you? Obviously I make bad choices...they tell you how wonderful they will be and then they let you down about nine months down the road.

    Love you both bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) So, I get a clean house for 9 months. I'll take it! :-) I told her I pretty much hate confrontation, so if I come to her and ask her to do something differently, it isn't personal. We're gonna give it a try...the Pait's are using this lady, and they like her. We'll see! As low as my current standards are, she has to do better than I do! :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you feel so inclined, please feel free to leave a message. 8-)